Monday, October 12, 2009

La jupe 'seleston'


It's me rocking a skirt I had a Congolese seamstress mock up for me last week. I got the cloth, a Kenyan print with the usual Swahili written on some of the borders, over a year ago. I guess it was waiting for a burst of creativity. My closest friends know I am chitenje crazy! Any excuse to wear African print. I really wish the magazines etc would stop calling it 'tribal' print when they dont even know what tribe made it. There's no harm calling it African-inspired. Afro-inspired. African. Say it loud, say it proud. Even when Fergie and co wear it. They've been here, they're not afraid. OK off my little politically-correct getting-on-many's-nerves soapbox.

The tanks (by the way) are Top Shop from Meltz (told you i'm mad about white tanks) , and the lilac cardie is from a shop I cant remember the name of right now but apparently it's French. Modem, or Diadem or something. I'll remember just now. Anyways, totally fitting as the style of my skirt is something that sounds like 'selestow' and I am sure there's some sort of silent n that Isabelle, the seamstress, kept pronouncing in her Francophone accent. Lots of waving of hands and telling me to sit and be comfortable, and what did I mean by 'piping'? We settled on a colourful edge and matching band at the hip. Originally the hair was out but then the Cape weather would have shrunk it in 2 seconds flat. As in - from Afro-poufy and rockin to flat and shapeless. I usually dislike my side profile with a passion, but I've made a concession here. Oh yes! The shop the cardie is from is Promod. Yellow made-in-South-Africa thong sandals - Meltz.

1 comment: